Monday, February 11, 2013

Post Cocoa Pebbles vs Mom's Best Crispy Cocoa Rice

Before our Celiac Disease diagnosis I NEVER would have served a chocolaty cereal to my kids for breakfast.  We only ate big brand but whole grain, fortified, unsweetened cereals.  However, due to the limited availability of gluten-free cereals on our supermarket shelves and the high cost of gluten-free cereals I gave in to the wallet friendly, easily accessible Post Cocoa Pebbles.  Then, a few weeks ago I came across Mom's Best Crispy Cocoa Rice and decided to conduct a blind taste test with my kids and compare nutrition labels.  The results were surprising!
Can you tell the difference between the two cereals pictured above?  

I asked my kids to rate each cereal on a scale of 1-10 and to describe each cereal.  They did not know which cereal they were eating only Box A and Box B.  My picky eater gave both cereals a 9 1/2 and my little guy gave both cereals a 10.  Both kids said both cereals were yummy.  However, my picky eater said the Mom's Best had a "slightly weird taste".  

Comparing the nutrition facts was very interesting.  Both cereals have the same number of calories with the Post have 10 more calories from fat.  However, both cereals have an equal percentage of total fats,  saturated fats, cholesterol, dietary fiber and protein.  Surprisingly Post has only 10g of sugar while Mom' Best has 13g of sugar.  In addition the Post Cocoa Pebbles had significantly higher amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folic acid, and vitamin B12.

So, we'll stick with the Cocoa Pebbles - in moderation of course :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, thank you for this! The Patient Celiac (Jess) told me you had done a comparison, which is awesome since I just wrote a post about my daughter eating Fruity Pebbles every day :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks for the feedback - I love to hear from my "followers"!

    ReplyDelete