Thursday, March 21, 2013

Gluten-Free Ravioli





I love pasta.  I love tortellini, ravioli, angel hair with pesto, ziti, penne with vodka sauce and the list goes on....  However, when my 2 favorite guys were diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 2 years ago we gave up all pasta completely for a while.  Then we slowly ventured in the gluten-free pasta world.  We tried brown rice pasta first which no one was particularly fond of.  Next came a corn pasta from Canada, which was ok but we didn't love it.  The fact that the price of a box of gluten-free pasta was triple that of "regular" pasta, and considering we are a family of 5 living in a resort community where prices are already inflated, didn't help our pasta situation.  We finally settled on a favorite, Bio-Naturae(which I write about in another post).  To keep costs down, we now only have pasta once a week, and I make 2 pots - regular(whole wheat veggie pasta) for the girls and gluten free for the guys.

Well, my little guy does not like dairy and he's a good eater - not picky at all with a very well rounded gluten-free diet.  But he truly does not like milk, cheese, or yogurt although he seems to have no problem with ice cream:)  But I was desperate for some ravioli and came across Conte's Gluten Free Cheese Ravioli and decided to give it a try.  The Ravioli held together in the pot!  I feared that it would wind up in pieces.  I served it with some fra-diavlo sauce and broccoli on the side.  When my little guy asked what was on the inside, I simply replied "ricotta".  No need to explain that it was cheese:)  He devoured every last bite, asked for more and asked when we could have it again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment