Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mexican Sweet Plantain Recipe


Mexican Plantain Recipe


Our best friends vacationed in Mexico this past February and our family vacationed in Playa del Carmen, Mexico in March.  We recently got together to celebrate, share photos, trade stories and enjoy a Mexican feast.  My girlfriend is also gluten-intolerant so a gluten-free menu is always on the table when we get together.  They put together a truly delicious taco bar with fresh organic sauteed chicken, pork, steak, shrimp, pico de gallo, Mexican soft cheese, guacamole, salsa, diced red onion and soft, warm gluten-free tortillas.  WOW!  Amazing and delicious.
We contributed Mexican Fruit Salad, Sweet Plantains and Mexican Black Bean dip.  Thankfully the fruit salad and bean dip were delicious, because my attempt at sweet plantains did not go well.
I followed Tyler Florence's recipe for Mexican Sweet Plantains.  The biggest mistake I made was not using ripe plantains.  Although it does indicate in the recipe to use ripe, black plantains, I didn't pay attention and I used green plantains.  They were not ripe, were very hard and dry.  So, unfortunately, the dish didn't turn out so well:(  I will definitely try again and this time, I'll be sure to let my plantains turn black before I even think about cooking them.


No comments:

Post a Comment