Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Initial Research

Immediately following the Celiac Disease diagnosis of my then 5 year old son in June 2011, followed 2 weeks later by the same diagnosis for my husband, I began scouring the internet reading every article I could find.  I completely immersed myself in learning everything I could about this disease.  Initially, the 3 most comprehensive and helpful online sites that I found are The Mayo Clinic, The The American Celiac Alliance, and the Celiac Disease Foundation.  Later I discovered the invaluable Gluten Intolerance Group, and the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness.  I visited my local library and borrowed every resource and cookbook available.  Unfortunately, our local library did not have many available resources and I had to search for books online and then borrow them through the inter-library loan program.  

I became consumed with learning everything I could about this disease, it's long term health consequences, the dietary and lifestyle changes it would require for him, my husband, and our entire family.  Thankfully, there is a lot of information available and I quickly became satisfied that I was a bit of an "expert" on CD.   I recognized and accepted the changes we would need to make to keep my son and husband safe and healthy.  However, with this recognition came the daunting realization that these lifestyle changes weren't going to be easy.  If you or someone in your family is newly diagnosed, I highly recommend spending a lot of time researching reputable online resources and borrowing every book possible from your local library!


No comments:

Post a Comment